Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Yuri!!! On Ice (Season 1 Anime)

Title: Yuri!!! On Ice




Date Aired: Oct 2016

Genres: Sports, comedy

Ongoing/Completed: Completed

Plot Summary: A Grand Prix finalist had lost one of the biggest contests in figure skating. Feeling defeated, Yuuri gains weight and stops skating as much. One day a friend asks him to perform a 5-time world champion's routine, in which (while fat) they record and post. The video goes viral causing the champ himself to become Yuuri's mentor and coach. Will Yuuri be able to regain his confidence and become just as great, if not greater than his mentor?

Review: The animation is not bad and the storyline is easy to follow. If figure skating men are your thing, then this anime will not disappoint. The movements animators have drawn for the characters' routines are smooth and not as stiff and not as stiff as one would expect in a dancing anime (Discoteque just popped into my head... deep emotion, deep emotion [Rosario + Vampire]).

There is no ecchi or smut, or even any type of romance (there might be 1 or 2, but it is subtle that one may miss it). The characters' profiles explain neatly why the figure skaters do what they do, what their passions are, and what their end goal may be. There are many comedy sports animes out there, this anime is not very original. However, Yuri!!! On Ice has enough appeal to be extremely popular.

This anime is for everyone who likes comedy, sports animes, everyone else, steer clear. This anime was not meant for me, but I want to be fair. I will not watch the movie or the next season.

Opinion: Like I said, I wouldn't watch it again or watch either the movie or the 2nd season. My sister is into the anime and I told her I would write a blog about it. Honestly, I expected stiff movements in the animation, but this was fine, actually better than that. Nothing is wrong with Yuri!!!. It's me, not Yu(ri!!). Damn, it sounds like I just broke up with an anime.

Rating: I give Yuri!!! 5 triple axels over 10. Again, very neutral...

NeW tErMiNoLoGy AlErT
Sport: It is what it says...swimming, boxing, basketball, baseball, soccer... figure skating... you get the point

As always, I don't own the pics...

No comments:

Post a Comment