Thursday, August 17, 2017

Hakushaku to Yousei

Title: Hakushaku to Yousei




Anime/Manga: Manga

Season/Chapter: Chapter 15

Release Date: 2011

Genres: Fantasy, shoujo, supernatural, romance

Ongoing/Completed: Completed

Plot Summary: There is a legend that states that anyone who possesses the blood from the Earl or ruling lord of the fairies is entitled to a sword that is proof of that bloodline. However, if you are a fake, let's say a thief, then your body will wash up on the shore. There is word of a fairy doctor who is not only knowledgeable in the way of fairies, but who can also see and hear them who may be the key to solving the puzzle of the sword. Who is this fairy doctor and how will she be able to help when fairies don't exist?

Review: The storyline is appealing, but it leaves you hanging. Maybe there should've been a better ending then this if the series was going to be discontinued? Maybe the author was unable to continue with the series foe personal reason. I don't know, but this manga is worth finishing. The illustrations are beautifully drawn and attractive. The female characters don't wear sexy or skimpy clothes in this manga because of it's timeline around the Victorian Era.

The characters' profiles are aggravating. My favorite characters are the fairy doctor's partner and the Earl's butler. Everyone else has me bagging my head against a wall. I'm also not sure about the MC relationship. I do appreciate how the author includes both female and male perspectives, which is why their relationship is frustrating. No smut, no ecchi, varying degrees of romance and no need for censorship. It seems original to me, but I could be wrong.

I think Hakushaku is worth reading, but be prepared to be unsatisfied. Like I said, something is missing.

Opinion: Hakushaku took me by surprise. 1) I didn't expect it to end the way that it did. 2) The storyline was fascinating, but left me dangling over a shark tank. Are they going somewhere with the character developments? 3) Where is the rest? I know they couldn't have ended it with just chapter 15, right? I heard there was an anime, maybe I'll make time to find and binge ... we'll see.

Rating: I give Hakushaku 8 brownies out of 10. There really should've been a continuation or at least a more complete ending.




As always, I do not own any of the pics used in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment